Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Grands and Praying Mantis

It has been a busy few weeks. Idaho, visiting grands and just catching up in the garden and house.

My friend Sharon's grandchildren all call her "Grand" and she loves it. I call my grandchildren "grands" for that is what they are as you can see from these pictures. While Tim and Scotty were here visiting from Idaho they swam and went to the movies and played with Jacob and had a water balloon fight at a friends house and went to a Rainers baseball game and a motorcycle ride with Papa and just had a good time. On the day before we drove them to Pendleton we had a family barbecue and five of the grands were here. From top to bottom there is: Scotty, Hailey, Tim, Jacob and Landen. Aren't they "grand"?




Here are Sarah and I in a picture with them.



In Pendleton where we drove to meet Scott and Jennifer to give Tim and Scotty back to them there is a park that has a climbing rock and the boys loved it. They spent most of the time on it while we were there.



The half moon garden is filling in so nicely and the big daisies have bloomed so well for the last month or more. I have put some other color in there and it has been so nice to look out and see.







A couple of months ago I had let a whole bunch of praying mantis go in the garden and
every once in a while I find one. Today I was deadheading some basil and there was this mantis. So I went and got Sarah and had her get the camera and we were able to get these pictures. I put my hand out and it jumped onto my hand. I got this picture looking straight at him. You are looking into his face.




If you look slightly to the right of the center you can see him. He is just a lighter green then the plant he is on. He's about 2 1/2 inches long. It had been a while since I had seen any of the mantis' and I was beginning to think they were all gone. I'm so glad to know at least one is still around.




Summer seems to be winding down a little bit. Jacob will go back to school a week from tomorrow and the days are already getting shorter. Where did the time go? It almost seems that summer got started and its going to be over so soon. It's been a strange year of ups and downs in the weather and the vegtable garden hasn't done as well this year. But there is always next year to look forward to. I have a trip planned to see my sister for next month and can hardly wait see her in South Lake Tahoe. We always have a fun time together.

Well, that's a peek into whats's been going on in my world lately. I hope all of you are doing well and enjoying your summer. I'll say ta ta for now.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Funny about the praying mantis. The other day as I was pulling weeds in my 'soon to be new bramble berry patch' I felt something on my leg.I reached down and brushed it off and there was a praying mantis! I tried to carefully pick him up with sticks and boy was that mantis fast! He kept trying to climb right up to me! I must admit I'm not a big fan of holding insects so i did not enjoy that so much. I did manage to get him back over the fence and into the strawberry patch where he disappeared. That was the very hot thursday when I worked outside and probably shouldn't have. It supposedly reached close to 100 and boy it sure did feel it too!