Saturday, February 13, 2010

Sweet Pea Time

There is no picture today. In two days it will be time to plant sweet peas here in Puyallup. It's probably time to plant in other places too so let's talk sweet peas.

My friend Carla who had the most amazing sweet peas last year told me what she does and I'm not sure if I have everything correct but this is what I'm going to do. First of all they are heavy feeders. So that means a well prepared bed for them to grow in. I'm going to have a row about 10 to 12 feet long so I'm going to add a bag of steer manure, chicken manure, a bag of Whitney Farms Rose and Flower Food and of course, compost. Now I know that sounds like a lot of work but if you want the best sweet peas it's worth it. And the seeds need to be pre-sprouted. They can be put between two wet paper towels until they sprout and then planted. I'm going for it this year. Then when they start to bloom they need to be picked every day. Now who wouldn't want to see you coming with a bouquet of sweet peas?

So, President's Day is the day to plant sweet peas and Monday is President's day so you know where I will be. Have a great Valentine's Day.

Ta ta for now!

No comments: